Floodle

There's fluff in my noodle

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Blogs without Comments

Should blogs have comments?, I prefer it when they do but I believe they can still be blogs if they don't have comments. A blog is a web log, not a discussion forum, people use blogs for various different reasons and some simply don't want any comments - it's just
their opinion, they don't want to discuss it or argue about it, they just have a need to vent.
I have a blog (this is it) which allows comments, no one has ever left a comment - does that mean it's any less a blog ?
Here's a scenario: I've read quite a few blogs on this exact subject and I want to comment on it - so where do I do this?, in my own blog?, in the comments section of one of the other blogs discussing this?, which one?. If I add comments to an existing blog entry that's a few days / weeks / months old - will anyone ever read it?

Search google for "Blogs without Comments" and you get over 300 hits - and that's just for one way of phrasing the subject, there may well be over 1000 separate discussions on this subject with many comments in reply. There's simply too much repetition on the internet.

However...Create a single area for discussion on a subject and what would you get?, a huge long list of comments like on slashdot. If you find a post that you wish to comment on and see there are 300 existing comments you have to read them all before posting in case you are
covering old ground which is very time consuming and with that many comments it's unlikely. At least comments on slashdot are hierarchical - unlike most comment systems.

The solution? - I don't know - please comment :)

2 reasons people leave comments:
1. The just have an irresistable urge to and feel they have someething valuable to contribute (5%)
2. Give them an excuse to post a link to their website (95%)
First 2 examples I picked are full of posts from other Bloggers (I'm not saying it's a bad thing)

http://joi.ito.com/archives/2005/11/24/deconstructing_bloggers.html

http://www.buzzmachine.com/index.php/2005/10/29/mr-blogger/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home